I think It’s pretty obvious how much I love creating glazes so this time around I worked with some calamansi (Philippine lime) juice for my tofu!
This is a perfect blend sweet and sour goodness. Plus, who doesn’t love crisp tofu? I’ve been using this same technique of coating them with some cornstarch before pan-frying them to create a crisp crust. This is perfect with a hot bowl of steamed rice or even with noodles.
Check out the full recipe below. Enjoy!
Stir-fried Sweet Lime Glazed Tofu
2 blocks extra firm tofu (around 240g each), sliced into cubes
1 heaping tbsp corn starch
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup bell pepper, sliced into squares
1 onion, sliced into squares
2 tbsp canola oil, for frying
3 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp soy sauce/liquid aminos
3 tbsp lime juice (I used calamansi juice)
1 tsp sriracha (optional)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tbsp corn starch, diluted in 1 tbsp water
1. Dry the tofu and cut into cubes. I wrap the tofu in towels and place a plate on top of it until excess liquid is absorbed by the towels.
2. Sprinkle the salt on the tofu cubes. Add the cornstarch. Coat the tofu well.
3. In a bowl, mix all the ingredients for the sauce except the cornstarch mixture.
4. In a pan, heat around 1 1/2 tbsp of oil and then fry the tofu cubes until crisp and golden. You may need to turn around the tofu cubes.
5. Take out the tofu and sauté the onions and bell peppers in a little oil. Add in the glaze ingredients except the corn starch + water.
6. Cook the sauce until it boils then lower heat before adding in the cornstarch mixture. Mix until thick.
7. Add in the tofu and cook until the sauce is well incorporated.
8. Serve with a bowl of rice or noodles and enjoy while hot!